Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Stamping with Bleach

For my second workshop I decided to do a class focusing on a specific technique: stamping with bleach. It took a lot of trial and error to get it right, but I finally got it.  If you decide to try this technique there are a few things to keep in mind.

First, each paper reacts differently.  Test the bleach on a small scrap before starting your project.

Second, there are many different ways to use bleach.  I found that starting with gel bleach, in the form of a bleach pen was the easiest for me.

Third, make sure you clean your stamps well.  They won't be damaged unless the bleach sits on the stamp for awhile.  I cleaned mine immediately after using with a baby wipe and paper towel, and then used the Stampin' Scrub with Stampin' Mist to make sure that the stamp was clean and the rubber conditioned.

Finally, bleach is tempermental. It does get old and loses potency. So, if you aren't getting good results open up a new container. It made a huge difference for me.



Recipe (All Stampin' Up!)
Stamps: Doodle This, Doodle Jumbo Wheel, Warm Words
Papers: Certainly Celery, Perfect Plum, Pale Plum
Inks: Perfect Plum, Certainly Celery, Staz On Black, Stampin' Write Markers

How this is bleached: I stamped the flower in Staz On Black and then used an old watercolor paint brush to paint gel bleach inside the image.  The Pale Plum turned almost white, which became a great base to use the markers.  Just make sure that the bleach is thoroughly dried before using your markers on the bleached part of the paper.


Recipe (All Stampin' Up!)
Stamps: Playful Petals, Define Your Life
Papers: Bravo Burgundy, So Saffron, Very Vanilla
Inks: So Saffron
Accessories: Rich Regals Brads, 1/16" Circle Punch

How this is bleached: I stamped the flowers from the Playful Petals set in a "stamp pad" that I rigged from the lid of a plastic container, gel bleach from a bleach pen, and paper towels.  I then "inked" the stamp with the bleach and stamped on the paper to create my background.


Recipe (All Stampin' Up!)
Stamps: Upsy Daisy, Warm Words, Cute & Curly
Papers: Sage Shadow, So Saffron, Kraft
Inks: So Saffron, Sage Shadow
Accessories: Curly Label Punch, Ticket Corner Punch, Stampin' Dimensionals


How this is bleached: First, I stamped the flowers from Upsy Daisy in Sage Shadow ink on Sage Shadow paper.  I then cleaned the ink off of the stamp and used my rigged bleach "stamp pad" to "ink" the flower stamp with bleach and stamp slightly offset from the origianlly stamped image to create a shadow effect.

Have you stamped with bleach?  Did you like the results? What techniques did you use?  Please share in the comments section!

1 comment:

Andrea Clayton said...

Awesome! Thanks for the tips. I have yet to try this but have always wanted to.